Monday, June 13, 2011

Tortellini Soup

When I visited my one of my very best girl-friends last month she made some amazing tortellini soup. Even  sense I have been wanted to make some. Especially since I love tortellini (or almost any pasta) and ManDan has never even had it!

A rainy day came along, the perfect kind of rainy day for soup and I took the opportunity to make the soup and take it to ManDan for dinner at work (something I would totally do more if he worked closer! and I really hope I get to do more once we are married). I had intended to be a good blogger and take pictures of the whole process, but I was in too much of a hurry to not miss ManDan's lunch break that this is the only photo I got.


All the food packed up and ready to go. Even got strawberry shortcake for dessert!

ManDan and I really enjoyed the soup, but I didn't make it as good as my friend had. I will just have to try it again! When I made it I left out the wine because I didn't have any, but I think that might be what really makes go from good to great. Next time I will definitely add the wine!

Sweet Italian Sausage and Tortellini Soup

Ingredients

  • 1 (16 ounce) package al fresco® All Natural Sweet Italian Chicken Sausage
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 5 cloves garlic
  • 1/2 cup white wine
  • 3 (14 ounce) cans low fat, low sodium chicken broth
  • 18 ounces refrigerated cheese tortellini
  • 1 1/4 cups fresh red tomatoes, chopped
  • 6 ounces baby spinach leaves
  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter

Directions

  1. Heat Dutch oven with 1/2 tsp of oil to coat and saute chicken sausage until browned and internal heat is 165 degrees. Remove from pan and slice into small pieces and set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, finely mince the garlic cloves.
  3. Heat remaining oil in pan, add garlic and saute for 30 seconds, stir in wine and broth and bring to a boil. Cook for about 2 minutes then add tortellini. Cook for another 5 minutes and then stir in spinach and tomato. Cook until the spinach wilts, 2 minutes.
  4. Return sauteed sausage pieces to the soup, cook for an additional 5 minutes add the butter and serve when butter is melted.



1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, sounds super yummy! I LOVE Italian food, but I don't think I've ever had tortellini soup...will definitely be trying that sometime. =) By the way, this might just be my very non-observant imagination, but did you change your blog background? Well, whether you did or not, it looks adorable!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...