Sunday, March 24, 2013

Jaw Surgery Up-Date

I know I haven't up-dated in months. There just hasn't been much substantial change, plus I have been incredibly busy living life like I never have before. This will be quick.

When we left off last time I wasn't even a month post-op. Now I am five months post-op and surgery feels very long ago! A month post-op I was not sure at all if I was actually happy I went through with surgery. I wasn't yet experiencing any benefits and there was still a lot to deal with in terms if swelling and healing.

About three months post-op I finally decided that I could deal with my looks and at least for the physical benefits of being able to eat properly and sleep better that surgery was worth it.

Now, I am very glad I went through with surgery because not only am I experiencing that physical benefits, but my looks have improved as well! That is probably going to sound vain to anyone who hasn't gone through this kind of situation. Please, just trust that is far more difficult than you could imagine to look in the mirror and not feel like you look like you. I never could have imagined how difficult that was until I went through it. Anyway, I did not realize just how swollen I was. Even two months ago I was still very swollen. These past couple weeks I feel like my face is finally returning to its pre-surgery size.





6 weeks post-op vs. 21 weeks. 



Profile Before and After. 
I just looked through my photos and this is actually the only profile pic I could find from before surgery! I really disliked my profile. Now I like it! Yay! 
Note: in the before pic I am holding my mouth closed. If I didn't my bottom lip would droop. In the after pic my face is relaxed. No more droopy lip!

On the subject of bottom lips... mine is still partially numb. It isn't as annoying as it used to be. I think the feeling is still slowly returning. 

I don't know what else to say. I can eat pretty much anything within reason now. Still gotta be a little careful and some days my jaw is sore and I declare a smoothie day, but overall I am doing quite well. I'd be happy to answer any questions. If you are thinking of getting jaw surgery go for it. It will be incredibly difficult! But in the end, it is worth it. I didn't believe that the first few months, but now I do. Just be very patient with yourself. 


4 comments:

  1. Wow, you look great! So glad you're happy with the surgery results.

    Love, Celia

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful. I had the same feeling the first couple months post op. I had a very hard time adjusting. Now without swelling it's a lot easier to adapt. I also noticed that my skin was very bad post op, I constantly had oily skin when my skin is usually dry, not sure if you had this issue but it's gotten a lot better now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, looking awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I just saw your comments. Congrats on getting your surgery! It is such a big step to take! You are probably a lot more swollen than you realize, be extra patient with yourself. I am happy with my face now, but sometimes I still feel like my smile is awkward. I think it will keep improving over time.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...