Friday, October 26, 2012

Jaw Surgery Day 9


Days 3 and 4 I think weren't too bad. I honestly don't even remember.

Day 5 I was feeling really nauseous all day. That night I threw up... and continued to throw up every couple hours till morning. Except after the second time there was nothing left but my body was still trying to throw up. We called my regular doctor around 3am (I didn't know that in these type of situations you could actually talk to you regular doctor in the middle of the night!) and he said my body was probably just overloaded with painkillers. Basically all I had to do was stop taking painkillers and wait it out. That was not enjoyable in the least. Oh, throwing up wasn't really made any worse because of my jaw, your body just works it out I guess! but still not fun.

Day 6 I don't remember. But here is a picture!

Pretty swollen and you can see the bruising a bit. 


Day 7 I started getting really emotional. Worried about the lack of feeling in my lip and my looks. I kept feeling like I had had to cry, but couldn't just outright cry. I even watched sad music videos and A Little Princess to try and make me cry! I didn't sleep at all that night. Kept trying, but nothing.

Did my eye make-up and a little blush. I actually felt pretty. You can see the bruising on my lower cheeks and all the way down my chest!


We went out to eat at Chili's that night. I called ahead and asked if they could blend their Chicken Enchilada Soup for me. It was good to get out of the house for a short bit.



Day 8 I had my one week post-op with my surgeon. He showed me how to position my teeth correctly and said I had to practice a few times a day to train my muscles. It is already easier. No infection! I was a bit worried about that because there is some pain on my left side and I have been running a low fever, but it is probably just a pulled muscle. A stitch in the back of my mouth has come loose and was bothering me so my surgeon trimmed that. Much better! He said I could sleep on my side, it would't mess up my jaw, if it was painful I'd move naturally.

Oh, I cried a little at the surgeon's office. I don't know why everything was good news! My surgeon even seemed a bit surprised that I was already feeling tingles in my lip and chin. He said that is a really really good sign for the feeling coming back. I still actually feel nothing, but it sure is tingling a lot.

After I got home from my post-op appointment I thought I would sleep. I was falling asleep in the car, but no such luck at home! Eventually I got up and went on a 30min walk. Probably overdid it a bit, but I was hoping it would help me sleep. Nope.

Later in the afternoon we went to Target to get me a waterpik. When we got back home I finally cried for real. And cried... and cried... and cried. Dan was so so good about it! He just held me. He knew I needed it. Put on some relaxing music and was finally able to sleep. I woke up a few times in the night, but I left the music on and that helped lull me back to sleep.

Day 9 is today! I have been eating well today. Oh! I was eating some soup (surprise surprise! soup.) and didn't realize it till I ha done it but I actually fit the spoon into my mouth instead of slurping from it. This got me really excited and I went and grabbed a pudding cup from the pantry and ate that. I few days ago I couldn't even get a baby spoon in my mouth. I am enjoying eating a bit more normally even if everything is still liquid.

A full face of make-up to hide the bruising on my cheeks and a scarf to hide the bruising on my chest. It was cold here today anyway! I feel like an ugly man today. I am really hating my face.
 I MISS MY OLD FACE!!!

I am really glad I waited to get this surgery till after I was married, but honestly at this point I am not sure I am glad I actually went through with it. It kinda feels like a bad dream that I can't wake up from. 

3 comments:

  1. wow my newsfeed wasn't showing your posts and I had no idea you had your surgery!!
    I have to tell you that I was feeling exactly the same as you at that point.
    I remember crying to my boyfriend that my life would never be the same because this new face wasn't me, and I regretted ever having the surgery.
    I promise you it gets better. I'm happier everyday as the swelling goes down and I gain mobility in my face. Right now I look at old pictures and I no longer regret it, I'm just so happy that I had the surgery and I have a normal jaw. I had a lot of trouble sleeping too and that doesn't help at all because you feel awful and start to get down about things.
    You look beautiful! I can already see all the changes and your face is so pretty! This journey is a tough one but in a few months everything will be a memory and we will be so much happier with ourself and our decisions. Wishing you a quick recovery and much happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you know? I like your new face. :) It still looks like you, but like...new you! New SheDan! I agree with ^ person. I think you'll eventually come to love this decision and this new ability in your face, and I pray for a continued fast recovery for you. I think the swelling has already SUPER gone down. You're starting to look like normal you again! Dan is an amazing man. I love you both. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey,

    You look stunning. Just hang in there, okay? Things will get better <3

    Celia

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...