Saturday, March 10, 2012

Homemade Stovetop Granola

As you can see my little sister even enjoyed granola and yogurt while she visited me.
I mixed in a little Elderberry syrup for her, that is why the yogurt is pink. 
For about a month and half now I have been obsessed with eating granola and yogurt with a little fruit and honey on top for breakfast. Everything about it is healthier than a bowl of processed cereal (more fiber, more protein and omega 3s just from the granola, not to mention the benefits of yogurt, fruit and honey), it is just as easy and it actually tastes better.

Since I like cooking and doing things myself I wanted to try my hand at making granola. I read a dozen different recipes and didn't find anything I wanted to try. I can't eat nuts unless I want a migraine and most granola recipes call for nuts. Also, I don't own a suitable baking sheet for making granola in the oven. I decided to go the stovetop route and made up my own recipe.

  • 2 cups Rolled Oats
  • 1/2 cup Steel Cut Oats
  • 1/4 cup Ground Flax Seed
  • 2 TBS Coconut Oil  
  • 2 Tbs Brown Sugar
  • 2 Tbs Honey
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract 
  • pinch of salt

The reason my recipe has steel cut oats in it is because I accidently bought 2lbs of steel cut oats only to get home and realize they weren't what I wanted, but I didn't want to waste them and I thought the extra texture would be good. If you don't have steel cut oats just leave them out or add another half cup of rolled oats. Granola isn't an exact science.

Add all the ingredients to a large pot or skillet.


Stir on a medium-low heat for about 10min or until toasted. 


Remove from heat and let cool. I poured mine into a 13x9 pan. 


Enjoy! 

I don't think this was really any more cost effective than buying my granola, but it was easy and I liked it. I finished my last batch so I think I will make some more today! 

1 comment:

  1. *dreamy sigh* I have a weakness for granola. I always say that I'd like to make it sometime but I never do. Yours looks lovely. I think I might stop procrastinating and make some!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...